If you are facing a criminal investigation, it is essential to obtain as quickly as possible clear and transparent legal advice from an effective solicitor who will protect your rights. Yvonne understands the anxiety of those arrested, charged or victimised by a crime. She seeks to explain clearly and concisely your position to reduce your anxiety and confusion, and to guide you through the extremely stressful processes of investigation and prosecution.
Yvonne often advises early in an investigation by analysing the risk of a potential prosecution against you, attending law enforcement agencies with you for interviews and cautioned statements, attending you in identification parades and house/office searches to ensure that procedures are carried out in a fair way, etc.
In the event that you are charged, in addition to discussing the defences available to you, Yvonne will advise you on your bail position, negotiate plea bargains which may be available to you and advise you on the strengths and weaknesses in the prosecution’s case. Where it is not in the public interest to prosecute you, Yvonne will make representations to secure no further prosecution against you and, in appropriate cases, that you be bound over to keep the peace.
Yvonne frequently represents clients in investigations and court proceedings taken out by:
- Hong Kong Police Force
- Immigration Department
- Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)
- Securities and Futures Commission (SFC)
- Customs & Excise Department
- Labour Department, etc.
Yvonne has experience in a wide range of criminal matters covering both traditional crimes and white collar crimes:
- Traffic and driving offences: drink driving; causing death by dangerous driving or grievous bodily harm; dangerous driving; careless driving; driving without a licence; driving without third party insurance etc
- Dishonest offences: theft; burglary; robbery; fraud; forgery etc
- Offences against the person offences: common assault; assault occasioning actual bodily harm; wounding; wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm; forcible taking or detention of person; infanticide; manslaughter; murder etc
- Sexual offences: voyeurism; indecent assault; intercourse with girl under 13 or 16; procuring an unlawful sexual act by threats or intimidation; rape etc
- White collar crimes: bribery; money laundering; SFC investigations; agents using documents with intent to deceive principals etc
- Trade Description Ordinance related offences
- Dangerous drugs related offences: Trafficking; possession; cultivation of cannabis
- Immigration offences: breach of conditions of stay (overstaying; working illegally); making false statements to an immigration officer; employing unemployable person etc
If you would like to retain a barrister for your case, Yvonne has good connections with criminal barristers in town and can recommend one for you within your budget.
Yvonne’s strength lies in her approach to resolving matters pragmatically, concisely and professionally. Her success in doing so accounts for the trust and confidence her clients and peers express.
“She was professional and concise. She put us at ease with her confident approach to the situation, and the rather intimidating environment we found ourselves in. So, many thanks to her!”
“Your professional manner was gentle and reassuring. We felt that all was well under control and this helped tremendously in keeping us calm throughout the whole affair.”
“Your work these months has been an asset to me and my family. You have been knowledgeable, professional and compassionate in your interactions, and have performed as a fiduciary in every regard.”
“Thank you very much for both your flexibility and service throughout this whole process. I will be sure to refer your services to anyone who needs legal help in Hong Kong. You will be my first phone call should I ever need something.”
“As we said we can’t thank you enough. There was a point where we were completely clueless and we feel that it was your guidance and honest feedback which helped us in making the right decisions including the one on engaging the legal team.”
Yvonne is one of the founding members of Morley Chow Seto. She was promoted to Senior Associate in 2017 and subsequently became Partner in January 2022. Yvonne has also been appointed by the Immigration Department as a Civil Celebrant of Marriage.
Yvonne graduated from the University of Hong Kong with her Bachelor of Laws degree in 2010, obtaining her Postgraduate Certificate in Laws from the University of Hong Kong in the following year.